Sunglasses and shorts at the ready, Mike’s off to sunny Spain again shortly as principal compere for the second Costa del Folk Festival.
And there’s another incredible line-up of acts joining him for the five-day event, including:
- Top bands Steeleye Span, Le Vent du Nord, The Mighty Doonans, Blackbeard’s Tea Party, Stolen Gnomes and Roisin Ban.
- Legendary guitarist Martin Simpson and superlative singers, Coope, Boyes and Simpson.
- Great duos O’Hooley and Tidow, Roberts and Lakeman, Gilmore and Roberts, Russell and Algar, the Askew Sisters and the House Devils.
- Superb soloists Lucy Ward, Bob Fox, Jez Lowe, Billy Mitchell, Steve Tilston, Duncan McFarlane, Jessica Lawson and Elspeth Cowie.
- Plus a ceilidh every night with Steamchicken, Liam Robinson band, Jam and Crumpet Band, Costa del Folk All Stars and callers Lisa Heywood and John Meechan.
Says Mike: “This time last year none of us had a clue whether running an English folk festival in Southern Spain would work.”
“But the verdict from hundreds of happy holidaymakers and over twenty great folk acts was that it was fantastic. The sun shone, the music was stunning, and at the end of each day everyone had a comfy bed to sleep in.”
“Now we’re going to do it all over again and the indications are that it’s going to be any better this year”
The festival runs from Saturday March 14 to Wednesday Match 18 and at the time of writing was virtually sold out. If you want to try for the few remaining tickets ring 01254 504970 or log onto www.costadelfolk.co.uk
There’s another Costa del Folk planned for October, 2015, however. This time on the Portuguese Algarve with a line-up that includes Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman and Barbara Dickson. And the latest news is that Costa del Folk is already planning another festival in Majorca in April 2016.